Utilization of Magnesium Hydroxide Produced by Magnesia Hydration as Fire Retardant for Nylon 6-6,6
http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0104-14282001000300010 Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia, vol.11, n3, p.116-120, 2001
The present work investigates the use of magnesium hydroxide, produced by magnesia hydration, as a fire retardant in polymers. The hydration was carried out in an autoclave, at temperature of 130°C for 1 hour, and the product was further submitted to cominution in a jet mill. The solids were characterized with regard to their chemical composition, particle size distribution, surface area and morphology. The performance evaluation of the hydroxide as a flame retardant for a copolymer of nylon 6-6,6 was carried out according to the UL94 specifications for vertical burning tests. V-0 flammability rating at 1.6 mm (60% magnesium hydroxide-filled nylon composite) and at 3.2 mm (40% magnesium hydroxide filled nylon composite) were achieved. Mechanical properties were maintained at the desired values. These results indicate that the hydroxide obtained from magnesia hydration can be successfully employed as a fire retardant for nylon 6-6,6.
Fire retardant, magnesium hydroxide, nylon 6-6,6
1. Lawson, D.F.- Rubber Chem. Technol., 59, p.455 (1986).
2. Hornsby, P. R & Wang, J. - Prog. Rubber Plastics and Technol., 10 (3), p.204 (1994).
3. Rothon, R. N. -"Production of Carbonates and Hydrates and Their Use as Flame Retardant Fillers", in: Proceedings of the EUROFILLERS-95, p.73, Mulhouse -France, (1995).
4. Holloway, L. R. - Rubber Chem Technol., 61, p.186 (1987).
5. Sobolev, I. & Woycheshin, E. A. - "Alumina Trihydrate", in: Handbook of Fillers for Plastics, chap.6, Katz, H.S. & Milewsky, J.(ed), (1987).
6. Lawson, D. F.; Kay, E. L. & Roberts Jr., D.T. - Rubber Chemistry and Technology, 48, p.124 (1974).
7. Sherman, L. - Plastics Technol., July, 56 (1992).
8. Ashley, R. J. & Rothon, R. N. - "Use of magnesium hydroxide as a flame retardant filler" in: Proceedings of the Mineral and Organic Functional Fillers in Polymers - International Symposium Moffis, p.87, Le Mans, (1991).
9. Coope, B. M. - Industrial Minerals, August, p.57 (1983).
10. Kessler, C. - "Outlook for magnesia products", in: Conference Report of the Industrial Minerals'97, Toronto-Canada, (1997).
11. UNDERWRITERS LABORATORIES INC. Tests for flammability of plastics materials - UL94, 3rd .ed (1989).
12. Levesque, J. - "Magnesium-based fillers as flame retardant / smoke suppressant. Recent advances in flame retardancy of polymeric materials". Business Communications Company, Stamford, Connecticut, USA, Morton International Corp., 103 (1990).
13. Hornsby,P. R.; Jackson, V. V.; Rothon, R. N, & Wang, J. - "Use of magnesium hydroxide as a flame retardant in polyamides", in: Proceedings of the Mineral and Organic Functional Fillers in Polymers-International Symposium Moffis-93; p.161, Namur-Belgium, (1993).
14. Rhodia - Technyl- propriedades das principais formulações- APE/CT 002, versão 002, Abril 1995.